Friday, April 20

Channa rice/ Sundal saadham



I learnt this recipe from my Aunt , who is a wonderful cook and this is one of my favourite among many of her delicious recipes. We call it 'sundal Saadam' in tamil and I remember the days of having it with my cousins in her house. It is a very simple dish, easy to make(very easy if use canned channa), and has a very good taste if u have it hot with chips and raita.Try this out and u will all love it.

Ingredients

Rice( basmathi or raw)- 2 cups
soaked overnight and cooked channa- 3/4 to 1 cup
if using canned one use 1 can . I use the canned channa.
Coriander seeds- 3 tsp
Coconut-4 tsp
Jeera- 1 ½ tsp
Red chillies-2 (the chillies I have is very hot and so I use less) or acc to taste
Coriander leaves- 3 tsp chopped finely
Salt to taste
For seasoning
Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp
Broken urad dal- ¼ tsp
Curry leaves- a few

Method

Wash , cook the rice and keep aside. Pressure cook the channa.
Grind coconut, coriander seeds, red chillies, and jeera to a coarse powder without adding water.
Heat oil in a pan add the seasonings one by one and then add the ground powder. Fry for a minute and add channa to it. Keep in a slow flame for 5 minutes. Add salt and coriander leaves. Remove from fire and add the cooked rice to it. Mix it well and serve hot.

24 comments:

FH said...

Looks like a delicious dish Prema,with beans it's nutritious too.I made Matki pulao for Nupur.I will try this Thanks for the recipe.

TNL said...

What a great source of protein...kids would love this...! I have noticed many people eat chips on the side with this kind of rice...I have yet to try it! Sounds like a wonderful combo.

USHA said...

Hi Prema,

Thats a wonderful idea of sundal sadham...Looks great and thanks for sharing

Richa said...

hi prema, thanks for one more healthy and quick recipe. As you suggested, this & a raita and a meal is ready.
thanks

Sharmi said...

hey Prema, pls send me your email id. so that I can mail you regarding the pics.

Viji said...

New idea and nice dish. Never tried before. Will try soon. Viji

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Cool combination. I've only had sundal, but sundal sadham sounds tasty.

Kanchana
ps. You have my permission to use any pictures Prema! Great work on the recipe index. I think it is a fantastic resource.

Menu Today said...

Hi Prema,
I like to mix sundal with sadam. This seems to be very healthy and lunch box recipe. Thanks for sharing.

sunita said...

Hi Prema...a very new recipe for me...would love to try it...thanks...

indosungod said...

Prema that is a new dish and looks really tasty. Love Channa so this is a must try.

Sia said...

just yummy... is it like kala channa biriyani?

Reena said...

Prema, The dish looks appetizing and full of protein. Good one!

Suganya said...

Hi,
Ur Channa rice looks YUMMY......I want to try this........

Bharathy said...

Never tried this..nutritious..will def try...good combo..my kids will def like this..

sra said...

Never heard of sundal sadham prema, though I can imagine how tasty it would be with the extra spices coming in!

Shah cooks said...

that is new. sundal means dal, i presume.. see reading ur blog, i am learning tamil too.

Unknown said...

I love sundal with rice. Never thought of combining the two. Lovely recipe. Thanks!

swapna susarla said...

sounds great!!

musical said...

Lovely recipe, Prema. its a must try now :).

Thanks for sharing.

Bong Mom said...

This is a novel dish. looks nice and never tried chana with rice

Seena said...

mouthwatering recipe..will try this..

Bharathy said...

Sundal is not DAL shaheen....Sundal=Kadala..
Prema has posted KADALA CHORU/Sundal sadam

and prema dont get confused...We call Kadalai for peanuts...they call kappalandi or nilakkadala for the same:)..

If we dont clear her doubts, madam gonna try your rice with some dal and end up in making PARUPPUSADAM supposing she has learnt tamil cooking..;)...

Pravs said...

Prema, i tried this channa rice today...so yummy !! I had some left over rice and a can of cooked channa...so it was so fast and easy to make. Thanks for this recipe

Tamil Rasigan said...

Really wonderl, Appreciated
Anbu