Monday, June 30

Coconut Rice (South Indian)


This is a very simple and easy to prepare dish. It is my entry to this month's AFAM hosted by Suganya of Tasty palettes.

Ingredients

Raw/Basmathi rice- 1 cup
coconut grated- 3/4 or 1 cup
oil- 1 tbsp
mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Split urad dal- 1/2 tsp
channa dal- 1 tsp
curry leaves- 1 sprig
red chillies- 4
cashew nuts(optional)- a few
peanuts (optional)- a few
asafoetida-a pinch
coriander leaves- a few chopped finely
salt to taste

Method

Cook rice until done. Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, cashewnuts, peanuts, channa dal, urad dal,curry leaves, red chillies, asafoetida and then finally the coconut.Fry for a couple of minutes(the colour of the coconut should not turn brown while frying) and then add to the cooked rice.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

20 comments:

Cham said...

I love the plain white color of this dish! Classic rice of TN looks very pretty ur rice :)

Kalai said...

My favorite mixed rice dish, Prema! Looks delicious! :)

indosungod said...

Simple but simply tasty.

sra said...

That looks so simple and elegant, Prema!

EC said...

Looks milky white...good one

FH said...

I love this rice. I have read that you can cook rice in coconut milk instead of water or mix of both, that would be nice too, got to try. Good recipe Prema, enjoy!:)

kamala said...

I too make the same way Prema..Looks Yummy..Btw how is Dasavatharam?Did u like it?

Bhawana said...

I could remember my days when I was preparing coconut rice :)) wasn't easy for me. looks very tasty. I really like it.

Latha said...

loev coconut rice PRema!

Unknown said...

I love the smell of coconuts in rice..nice entyr

Illatharasi said...

Please check my blog for a surprise:)

EC said...

An award for u on my blog

A_and_N said...

Great looking Thangaai Saadham :)

Shreya said...

Hi Prema, I had coconut rice from a Tamil friend's house about 2 yrs ago. I have never tried it on my own, but this definitely is a simple and nice recipe worth trying! Thanks:-)

Illatharasi said...

Hi Prema, just wanted to let you know, that I have added your blog to my blgoroll:)

Pooja said...

i had been waiting someone to post this recipe since I had it once in a south Indian restaurant here. thank for sharing the recipe Prema :)

Laavanya said...

We love coconut rice at home though it's been ages since I made it. I love this when paired with a spicy potato curry :)

Seema said...

How r u Prema? Stopping by here after long....
Coconut rice -A fav rice at my place.. love this with spicy potato fry... yum yum!!

MJS said...

you have something in my blog....

Srikitchen said...

an event for icecreams and milkshakes is going in my blog! participate in it!