Thursday, June 14

Brinjal Masala


The eggplant, aubergine or brinjal , a commonly used vegetable in cooking is a native to southern India and Srilanka. As a native plant, it is widely used in the South Indian cuisine, for example in sambar,chutney,curries and oil preserves/aachaar. Owing to its versatile nature and wide use, in both everyday and festive South Indian food, it is often described (under the name brinjal) as the 'King of Vegetables' in South India.(source Wiki)
This is a simple recipe with brinjal which I prepare very often... This is my entry to JFI for the month of july hosted by Sangeetha of 'Ghar ka khana'.

Ingredients

Brinjal- 8 medium
Onions- 2 chopped finely
Tomatoes-2 chopped fienly
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Jeera powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves- a few chopped finely
For Seasoning
Oil- 5 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Urad dal spilt- a few
Curry leaves- a few

Method

Wash and cut the brinjal into thin slices. Heat oil in a pan and add the seasonings one by one.
Add the onions , saute till it turns transparent and then add the chopped tomatoes. Saute for sometime till the tomatoes turn mushy and then add all the powders. Fry for a minute and then add the brinjal pieces. Add little water , simmer the flame and close with a lid. Remove from fire when the brinjal is cooked and when the oil seperates.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice and Sambar.

Check out my Stuffed brinjal gravy here.

19 comments:

Sia said...

this is one of the simplest recipes of brinjal i have come across prema. sometimes i feel the minimum ingredients bring out the maximum flavour in any dish and ur brinjal masala looks like it is one of them. loved it:)

FH said...

YAY!! Prema,I love Brinjals and I think your's is the first entry for JFI.Sounds so good,I love your recipes.Thanks girl:)

sra said...

It looks nice, Prema. My brinjal stuff never turns out good unless I add a lot of oil so make it only now and then.

Aruna said...

Prema, I prepare it almost the same....the pic look great, who doesnt love brinjals????

Suganya said...

O O this is my fav masala....it is a simple and elegant dish...Love it...

Seema Bhat said...

Prema,
Baingan Raja is one of my fav veggies and I loved yoru recipe for its simplicity. Great entry for JFI .
-
Seema

Jyothi said...

Hi Prema! this is one of my favorite brinjal recipe. I am a brinjal lover. Yours recipe looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

I love Brinjals in any form! and like Sia has said, this ones really simple to make. :)

swapna susarla said...

yummy recipe prema!!!

Bharathy said...

"Kathirikkai kari" is what we call,na?
I was thinking to make this for JFI.. as always(great minds...!!)and still simply postponing..

archana said...

Liked the recipe Prema :)good entry for JFI.

Linda said...

Oh Prema, this looks simply fantastic! Wish I could have it for supper now! I agree with Supriya -- less is more with many foods, like delicious brinjal. I'll try this very soon -- thank you for the recipe :)

Bong Mom said...

A very nice everyday recipe. These are the kind of recipes that are used most

USHA said...

Hi Prema,

Brinjal masala looks nice and simple..We use to combo in with drumstick or karamani seeds..

I need to thank you first...for your wonderful Carrot Kheer recipe...Actually i invited our friends for Lunch today.Till yesterday night i don't find any idea of dessert....when i googled...i found your version of Carrot Kheer was very simple and impressive...

Today morning i tried same as per your instruction...it was really hit...all my guest including my hubby liked it very much..Thanks alot...Now it is3.30p.m just all my guest left...i wanna thank you immediately .....

Shivapriya said...

Brinjals is my families fav. Yummy recipe. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Sharmi said...

what a photography! make me curious to look at the whole bowl.

DEEPA said...

wow!!!!This is so nice ...Perfect Pic ...Simple and very tasty one ...

mallugirl said...

its good to see brinjal recipes abound.will this taste any good if i grill the brinjals?

Kms said...

nice stuff , nice collection

http://kmshomemadefood.blogspot.in/2012/05/capsicum-bajji.html