Monday, April 16

Mor kuzhambu

Morkuzhambu,A dish from Tamil nadu is sure a comfort food when u have plenty of curds.Easy to prepare and one of our favourite foods. Try this recipe and u will surely love it. This is my another entry to "RCI - Tamil cuisine event" hosted by Lakshmik and "A- Z of indian vegetables" hosted by Nupur .







Ingredients
Thick buttermilk/curd- 4 cups
rice- 1tsp
channa dal- 1 tsp
toor dal- 1 tsp
turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
green chillies- 4
ginger- a small piece
garlic- 2 to 3 cloves
coconut grated-3 - 4tsp
salt to taste
Any veggies (like pumpkin, okra, ashgourd, cucumber,carrot, beans, potato)U can add any one or two vegetables of ur choice.)chopped- 1/2 cup
For Tempering
coconut oil/cooking oil- 1 tbsp
mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
red chillies- 1
curry leaves- a few
pearl onions- 3 chopped finely
Asafoetida- a pinch

Method

Soak rice, and the dals together for 15 to 20 minutes.
Whisk/beat the buttermilk/curd with turmeric powder and keep aside.
Grind green chillies, ginger, garlic, coconut with the soaked rice and dal to a fine paste.
In a pan add 1/2 cup of water and the veggies and cook the for some time. When they are half cooked add the ground paste and salt to it . simmer the flame and add little water to it so that the veggies are cooked fully and the raw smell of the paste disappears. Add the buttermilk/ curd to it.
Heat coconut oil/cooking oil in a frying pan and add the ingredients for tempering one by one and fry for a minute. finally pour that to the curd mixture. Morkuzhambu is ready to be served with rice.

Note

U can do a simple morkuzhambu without the veggies too.
Beat the buttermilk/curd well to avoid the curdling.

27 comments:

Bong Mom said...

This one I have seen in some blogs. I didn't know what it means and I was enlightened. This one looks great too Prema

sunita said...

This is a very new dish for me...thanks

FH said...

OH NO!! I made the same too!!:)) It will be out on Wednesday.Good to see this as well,I love it with rice and wafers.YUM! Thanks Prema:)

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Prema..your blog templet looks very nice..moru curry is more of comfort food for me...when there is more of yogurt in stock I end up making moru curry:)

Richa said...

hey prema, thanks for introducing a new dish to me, looks great. I can see the similarity to kadhi, but with addition of coconut & spices, must taste yum!

indosungod said...

Prema, no Tamil cuisine is complete without Mor Kuzhambu. Nice Entry. I add turmeric powder so mine is yellow.

Maneka Nirmal said...

rice with mor kuzhamu and peice of fried fish is a real comfort food ..lovely pic prema..

Nupur said...

That does look comforting, and so delicious! Thanks for contributing a regional classic!

Sig said...

It looks so good Prema... I made Kalan yesterday for Vishu, very similar, but without the rice and daals...

Sharmi said...

Nice looking mor kulambu!! Its one of my favourite. will try your version next time.

Sia said...

love this mor kuzhambu prema. kind of comfort food for me.

Syam said...

my another favourite veg dish....:-)

iniya thamil puthaandu vaazthukkal...

Reena said...

we call this moru curry. i love it. sometimes just hot rice, this and pickle is enough:). you have caught the color of curry so well.

swapna susarla said...

Hi prema
Lovely recipe!!

Bharathy said...

PHEW_Amazing-BOTH OF US EXACTLY THINK A_L_I_K_E.I had drafted MORKUZHAMBU FOR RCI and PALAK PANEER for JFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Great to see the tamil portal start up..Saw only now..Way to go!!!!!will surely send recipes for the poratal...FEELING very proud...:)

Menu Today said...

hi Prema,
Morkulambu with fried papad and paruppu usili great combination.
perfect entry for RCI. Thanks for sharing.

Kribha said...

I make a similar mor kuzhambu except that I don't use rice and toor dal. will try this variation next time. Thanks for sharing.

bee said...

you have a great blog, prema. happy to have found it.

Pravs said...

Oh this is so different from how i made moru curry. I think i should try your way....will be a variation for me.

Bharathy said...

Yes Prema,I know you made this for RCI..But i saw only murukku in RCI link..didnt you send this..I drafted palak paneer 10 days back...for JFI..feeling lazy to change Prema..
BTW I asked Nupur whether she would accept Morkuzmbu for letter m.she said s somebody else too..didnt know it was you!..then I posted manga pachadi!!!
Is this what ppl say
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE??:)

Dhivya said...

hi this recipe is very good....Saturday i was in no mood to cook...I hav never tasted more kuzhambu...it was very amazing...,,thanks for the nice recipe

Tamil Rasigan said...

Really wonderful
Useful for bachelors
Thanks
Anbu

rajenvalayden said...

hi prema.

thanks for the mor kuzhambu recipe.It reminds me of my mom. In fact she learnt this recipe from someone dear who lives in India and who happens to have a daughter by the name of Prema! What a coincidence that i happen to learn the recipe from a person by the name of prema.

msundari said...

i tried today. it came out very nice. my husband and I liked it very much

Charlie Narasis Potpourri Blog said...

I think adding a teaspoon of cumin seeds with other ingredients
makes it taste even better
Charlie Narasi
Stockbridge,GA.

Blogger said...

3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

Nino Nurmadi , S.Kom said...

ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com
ninonurmadi.com